- I'll sing you my October song
There is no song before it,
The words and tune are not my own
My joy and sorrow bore it.
- Beside the sea the brambly briar
In the still of evening,
Birds fly out from behind the sun
And with them I'll be leaving.
- The fallen leaves a-jewel the ground
They know the art of dying,
And leave with joy their glad gold hearts
In scarlet shadows lying.
- When hunger calls my weary footsteps home
The morning follows after,
I swim the seas within my mind
The pine trees laugh green laughter.
- I met a man whose name was Time;
He said I must be going,
But just how long ago that was
I have no way of knowing.
- Sometimes I could murder Time
When my heart is aching
But mostly I just like to stroll along
The path that he is taking.
From the collection Songs From Hazzards Huzzah